Bifold doors are an excellent choice when you want to add a stylish look to a room and flood the space with lots of light. If you have decided to install bi-fold doors in your house, there are a number of things you will need to consider. Placement of the doors, as well as the size, is very important but one of the main things to decide is which material to choose for your bi-fold doors.
Here we take a look at the qualities and applications that would suit different bi-fold doors. When choosing doors, is aluminium or uPVC bifold doors the right choice.
Aluminium vs uPVC – which is best for bi-fold doors?
While each material has its pros and cons, there are a number of different factors that will mean one option will be more suitable for your new project. When choosing bi-fold doors you will need to think about a number of things:
- Strength – depending on the size and position of the bi-fold doors, choosing the strongest material will be the best option for your doors
- Thermal efficiency – the frames of the bi-fold doors will contribute to the thermal efficiency of the overall door and some materials are more thermally efficient than others
- Style – some homes are built in certain styles and a bi-fold door made from uPVC or aluminium may be more suited to certain styles more than others
- Maintenance – the materials that windows and doors are made from, require different levels of maintenance, this will need to be considered when choosing the right bi-fold doors for your home
- Price – the cost of materials that bi-fold doors are made from can affect the price, your choice of material may have to be based on a specified budget
Why choose uPVC bi-fold doors?
uPVC is an incredibly popular choice when it comes to windows and doors. This option can be supplied in a number of different colours so you can match your bi-fold doors to your current windows.
Some of the main reasons uPVC bi-fold doors are a popular choice among homeowners include:
- uPVC bi-fold doors frames can be highly efficient for thermal value
- Low maintenance, a simple clean with soapy water keeps uPVC frames looking fresh
- Low cost
While the affordable uPVC bi-fold doors option may be tempting, there are a number of things that may mean you should choose another material. If you want a particularly large bi-fold door or want a corner post for multiple doors, aluminium would be the best option as this is stronger.
Why choose aluminium bi-fold doors?
Aluminium bi-fold doors have become increasingly popular over the years. Bi-fold doors made from aluminium are the best choice for you if you are looking for:
- A large choice of colours and finishes are available
- Size, as aluminium is a strong material larger doors are less likely to warp
- Low maintenance options as aluminium bi-fold doors are often finished with a long-lasting powder coat.
- Strength and style, as aluminium frames are stronger than uPVC the frames can be thinner on bigger doors
As an experienced window installer in Leicester and the surrounding areas, our team has worked with many clients on projects of all sizes. Our team of expert installers are able to provide advice on the best type of bi-fold doors for your home.
If you are looking for aluminium bi-fold doors or want to have uPVC bi-fold doors installed, we can help. Our team can talk you through the best option for your home and provide professional advice on the best bi-fold doors for your project, so contact us today for more information.